Sunday, September 18, 2011

Antwerp

Below are some pictures from my trip to Antwerp. It was about a two hour train ride south of Utrecht so pretty easy. The city is known as the center of the diamond universe. I went to a few diamond stores to see if maybe I could find a gift, but apparently being the center of the diamond universe means prices are absurd. Diamonds are much cheaper in the states, at least compared to the places I saw.

I did go to the diamond museum, walked the meir (outdoor mall), visited the wharf, spent a few hours at the modern art and history museum and, most importantly, stopped by a few pubs for mid trip Belgian beers. Overall a great trip and got lots of good photos. Here is a sampling.

Here is the interior of the Antwerp train station, which had three decks of tracks. Pretty incredible place. I do not know these two people interrupting my shot.
Outside the train station.

The Meir. Lots of American shops which was funny to me. Plenty of other stores though and things happening. Picked up a Belgian Waffle on the street for 2 euro.


A lot of the buildings were very old style, like these on the left. But then you had new ones sitting right next to them. They have done a pretty nice job of incorporating the old and new though.
This is the modern art and history museum. A little Antwerp history and lots of other interesting exhibits.
View from the top.
Random guy sitting on an exhibit having a coughing fit. There were chairs no less than 10 meters away.
There was a whole section to ships. I know Jason would've enjoyed seeing these. Lots of very impressive models. Antwerp has a huge port system and maritime history.

A castle.
A church
Inside one of the shopping areas off of the meir. I bought some chocolate in here. Kind of like going to Napa and buying wine at the 7-11.

No comments:

Post a Comment