Sunday, October 9, 2011

Munich

My last post of far away adventures! I'm heading home on Friday and definitely looking forward to it. Its been too long away from Em (and the boys). Plus I hear that I'm missing out on lots of fun like registering for diapers and onsies!

My trip to Munich was short and action packed. There was lots to do/see in limited time, but the city was very nice. I spent most of my time in the City Center where there is good people watching, eating, drinking and shopping. I also ventured out to the Olympic park where the 1972 summer olympics took place and walked the grounds of Oktoberfest (missed it by a week!), among many other things. The weather was bad, but the city was great and the people were mostly friendly.


Sunrise as we head to Munich. Don't know why I've been taking all of these airplane pictures lately, but it seemed like a good thing to do.

The archway in the back is symbolic of peace, I think. This is where my trip began when I emerged from the underground train station.

One of the main squares. This clock tower did a funny show at noon that a lot of people were waiting for.
An armored baby slaying a snake. Nice.

This was a huge daily market, but I'm only getting a picture of a small portion. Meats, cheeses, wine, beer, vegetables, knick-knacks, etc. Cool place.

At the Hoffbrahaus, probably one of the most famous beer halls in the world. It was very cool. I got some advice at the table I was at to go see the Olympic park, which I did.

Here is a view from a tower at the Olympic Park. In the foreground is a BMW campus with engineering and a museum. I went into the museum, only because it was free, and found a glorified car dealership.

Some of the buildings built for the Olympics (soccer stadium ahead and pool on the right).

Here is one of the "beer tents" that is in the process of being taken down. These things must take months to construct. Not exactly a tent and more like convention centers. There were 2 dozen of these halls on the Oktoberfest grounds. Sad to have missed it.

Had to throw this one in there. I spent the morning today at the Duetsches Museum which is a huge place for history of inventions and industry. I found it very interesting, but not as interesting as this American Patriot who couldn't leave this jacket behind on his quest to represent the US in the best possible light.



No comments:

Post a Comment